Advent Calender

Saturday 15 November 2014

I cannot believe it's almost December. Here in Canada we have already celebrated Thanksgiving, so Christmas is our next big holiday. I will be away for the last week in November so I decided to start decorating a tad bit early. I really wanted to do an Advent Calender for Ellia this year, I envisioned it being simple, and a bit organic, with a little sparkle of course. 

I found the boxes at Michael's and used a 40% off coupon. I already had the gold leaf, but I also purchased that at Michael's a few months ago. All of the other materials I had, or found in the forest. 


To gold leaf the numbers, I first made myself a little paper window so that they would all be the same size, because I am a little crazy like that. Then take the adhesive pen and draw your number, wait a few seconds and then place the gold leaf on top of the glue, with the tissue paper and rub it in gently.  Next take a paint brush and brush away the gold leaf. I try and save all the big leftover pieces. Finally assemble the boxes.


For the little gifts, I just bought a bunch of things that I know Ellia loves. 


Once I filled all of the boxes, I closed them up and put a bit of hot glue on them to make sure they stay closed. Then I used a single hole punch to make a hole in the middle. I strung up a piece of birch on two hooks in the ceiling and hung the boxes at different levels. Then I added some greens, and pine cones, which I found on one of mine and Ellia's walks through the forest!

  


I am going to buy a few books about The Story of Advent and Christmas for Ellia so that she also learns the true meaning of this special time. 

Is anyone else doing an Advent Calender this year? Is there another tradition or something you do instead? Would love to hear!

xox Nat


9 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! Love how they are displayed. I'm in the process of making one for my daughter. I have little gifts to add inside but I also have little Christmas activities like, donating toys to the local hospital, visit Santa, bake cookies for the local fire station and visit Daddy at work with donuts and coffee. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE those ideas, thank you so much for sharing! Will definitely incorporate them next year when Ellia is a bit older and will really understand and appreciate it. Xo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so precious! Would you mind telling me the section you found the boxes in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were with a bunch of stationary and wrapping things, like tape and tags, I am sure if you ask someone, they could direct you!

      Delete
  4. I love this, Natalie! I need to do this with Sophia now that she has an idea what is going on. I was also going to do "The Twelve Days of Christmas" by wrapping 12 books & opening one each night leading up to Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the book idea! Ellia is finally getting into books, which makes me happy. Thanks sweet lady!

      Delete
  5. Always in love with what you do, the way you live ! Thank you for being so talented and giving inspiration. Some of you

    ReplyDelete

glitter & the girls. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.